Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What Are You Thankful For?

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?

I am thankful for so many things.  I am thankful for the wonderful man that I am married to, and my dear sweet kids.  I am thankful that we have a place to live, and a car to drive.  I am REALLY thankful for a hand-me-down stove to replace the one that was not working when we bought this trailer over two months ago.  And of course I am thankful for tasty food ;)  In fact, I am grateful to have food at all.

I am especially grateful for the little things, in part because I now know personally so many that have far less than us.  Oh, we've had our financial bumps in the road, but visiting with the homeless and needy that come to our church each Sunday reminds me just how much I am blessed.

Those that come to our church are not just "guests", they are our friends, and we love them very much.

It is for this reason that we are sharing something with our friends on the Sunday following Thanksgiving that is very special to us as a family.  And that is my husband's grandmother's famous pumpkin pie.  It is unlike any other pumpkin pie we have ever had.  In fact, it is SO GOOD that last year a volunteer at our church (that shall remain nameless) couldn't quit eating it!  Now that is quite a compliment!

So while Thursday is the day everyone else celebrates Thanksgiving, the most special Thanksgiving we will share as a family is the Sunday after.  And we will all be eating Anna Katherine's Famous Pumpkin Pie, made by none other than my husband.  I love you Honey! And I love you my friends!  See you for our special Thanksgiving ;)

Oh, and this year Christmas day is a Sunday, which means that it will be a VERY special Christmas indeed!  We get to spend it with our buddies, sharing God’s love.  And we wouldn’t give that up for all the presents in the world.

_____________________________

Anna Katherine's Famous Pumpkin Pie

1 ½ cups Sugar

2 tsp. Cinnamon

1 tsp. Ginger

½ tsp. Ground Cloves

1 tsp. Mace

4 Large Eggs

1 29oz can LIBBY's Pumpkin

3 cups Whole Milk

2 Nine Inch Deep Dish Pie Shells (or 3 Regular Nine Inch Pie Shells)

Directions:

-Mix ingredients, pour into two 9 inch deep dish pie shells.

-Bake in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 15 minute, reduce heat to 350 degrees for an additional 40 to 50 minutes.

Hint: You can get three pies from this if you have regular pie shells instead of deep dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment