Friday, February 16, 2018

The Journey To A New Life (Part 2)- The Change

As we planned our move to the next state over, we also passed our beloved bible study with the homeless and needy on to others in the church we used to attend (Trinity).  This was a very difficult time.  The homeless and in need that came to Trinity were seeing all of the changes that were taking place in us.  They knew that we were leaving the ministry, and the state.  But they didn’t want us to go, nor did they understand why we were leaving, other then that God was calling us away.  (We also had another son during this transition time.)

Family and friends were also hard pressed to find answers to why we had changed, and why we were leaving.  We told them that God was calling us.  They asked questions like, “Are you moving there for a job?”, “Do you have family there?”, and “Why doesn’t God call you some place warmer?”  To all this we answered, “No”, “No”, and “Because that is not the way He works.”  When we said that we were moving because God called us there, it didn’t make sense to people.  However when they didn’t understand our answer for why we were leaving, and my husband joked that it was because “we like cheese” suddenly it made sense to them.  (OK, so that we would move to another state simply because God called makes no sense to you?  But if you move simply because you like cheese, THAT makes sense?!  Sigh.)

As the day got closer for us to move, my husband and I found ourselves purging belongings we had hung onto for years and years.  While I don’t regret anything that we got rid of, I do remember thinking thoughts like “Well, we won’t need this in the Mennonite church!” entering into some of our decisions of what to get rid of.  We threw away things such as varsity jackets, yearbooks, and old prom pictures.  We donated boxes and boxes of old belongings, so much so that I am sure the guys at the local Salvation Army were growing tired of us.  I donated almost everything clothing-wise that was “pre-Mennonite”.  I was wearing cape dresses and veil type head coverings exclusively now, so all my old jeans went bye-bye.

We were also weaning ourselves from other things that were not in fitting with Mennonite living.  We were dressing like Mennonites, talking like Mennonites, acting more like they act, living more like they live.  And we were thinking more like they think.  I remember saying things during this time to Mennonite friends that basically had an attitude of how ,”I used to think this thought, or talk, or music, or Christian attitude was ok, but now I realize that the Mennonite way is the better way.”  And this was perfectly understandable to them.

I now see how dangerous my thoughts and attitudes were becoming during that time, and how I was yearning more and more to say and do what I thought would gain approval from the Mennonites around me.

(Disclaimer:  This series includes the personal experience of our family in both moderately conservative, and ultra conservative Mennonite churches.  I am only speaking for our experience personally, and what we personally know.  Please continue reading to see how God works in this.  He wastes nothing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment