Thursday, September 1, 2011

God Keeps His Promises

Rainbow

We finally did what I wasn’t looking forward to doing again.  We bought the trailer.

God has given me a peace about this move.  You know that peace that transcends all human understanding? (See Philippians 4:4-9)  Got it!  Even when the woman selling the trailer started threatening to drive me nuts in the whole process of buying the trailer, there was a measure of peace.  Mild annoyance at times, yes, but peaceful annoyance . . . if that even makes sense.

But never the less, through it all, the biggest fear through all of this was still in the back of my head taunting me.  Satan likes to do that, you know.  “Don’t do it, you’ll be stuck.  You know that you don’t want to do it, so don’t do it.  God wouldn’t really ask you to do this, would He?”

Then I would remind myself of all of the prayers that my husband and I have offered up together throughout all of this.  I was reminded of the provision that God gave us when the trailers that we looked at became nicer as they became less expensive.  I was reminded of the extreme and overwhelming peace that He gave me when I truly gave this all to Him in submission to His will.  And I was reminded of the time that He led me to look up the name of the street that we will be moving to and found out that it meant “Of God”, “Lord”, or “Of the Lord”.  How can you argue with that?!  I believe my response to that one was, “Well alrighty then!”

The irony is that it was shortly after we began this journey into buying a trailer that my husband was called in to interview for a job.  But this wasn’t just any job, it was a job that would pay enough to allow us the freedom to live somewhere other than this trailer.  Interestingly enough, three different people asked me during this time if I would move somewhere else given the chance to be able to afford more.  Three times I answered the same.  “We would still buy the trailer.  This is what God wants, and that is the important thing.  He has His reasons for wanting us here.  I just need to work through my feelings about this.”  Within a few days of the third person asking my husband got the job!  It didn’t occur to me until later that Jesus did much the same thing in speaking to the apostle Peter after his resurrection when he asked three times, “Do you love me?”  And then Jesus called him to follow him. (Read about it here in the book of John.)

So we have acted in obedience, even when it didn’t make sense.  We have bought another trailer, when I swore we would NEVER buy one again.  And wouldn’t you know it, we hadn’t been home more than a couple hours when it started to rain.  But it was still bright and sunny!  “I wonder if there is a rainbow.”  And there was!

“Do you remember why God made a rainbow appear to Noah?”, my husband asked.  The rainbow had appeared as God’s promise that He would never destroy the earth with a flood again.  Was this His promise to me that He would never allow our finances to be destroyed because of the foolish purchase of a trailer?

Maybe you think the connection is kind of a stretch, but this one’s between me and God.  And He ALWAYS keeps His promises!

Lord, we thank you again for your provision.  We thank you for your guidance, and we thank you for your confirmation when we choose to do things in obedience to you.  You are God, and I am not.  Your ways are not always my ways, but they are ALWAYS for the best, in your understanding of the greater plan that you have for all of us.  I praise you Lord that you take care of us.  I praise the fact that the God that you are in the bible is the God that you still are, you are unchanging.  Thank you for ALWAYS keeping your promises, even when we as humans sometimes fail to.  Amen.

Blessings ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment